The Thalamus Video Chat provides an internal video platform that is integrated within Thalamus. This guide will provide you with the steps on how to access the Thalamus Virtual Video Chat and navigate within the virtual room.
We strongly encourage all users to test out the video chat system at anytime prior to their scheduled day. Joining an interview room early at any time will not "break" or do any wrong with the link. It simply allows attendees to test out the system and feel more comfortable navigating the virtual platform on the actual day.
Access Your Interview Day Itinerary
1. Log into Thalamus.
2. Select the "Schedule" and then "My Schedule" to view the scheduled interview sessions.
3. Navigate to the correct interview session by selecting the interview session on the left navigation menu or by using the arrows at the top of the page
4. If you are scheduled for multiple interview sessions on the same day, you will see multiple rows within the page. The following is accessible within each row:
- Itinerary session information including name, time, and date
- Program and Itinerary Attendee information will include Program Name, Specialty, Interviewer Name
- If a Thalamus virtual interview session has been scheduled, you will see the "Join Meeting" button. Click "Join Meeting" to enter the virtual interview session.
If a 3rd party Video Chat Software (Zoom, Teams, or WebEx) is being used instead, the link will appear here and you will be taken to the appropriate 3rd party software site.
- Applicants will have the option to view the Program Profile and the Interview Day Description (from Calendar). Attachments may also be available to view and download.
Access the Thalamus Video Chat Platform
Note: The preferred browser for using the Thalamus Virtual Interview platform is Chrome (however Edge and Safari may also be used).
6. A new tab will open in your browser.
7. In the new tab, you will be taken to the Join Meeting page where you will be able to select and save the camera and microphone settings.
8. You must save your camera and microphone settings to join a meeting.
From this screen, you can also select to Mirror your Video.
Navigating the Thalamus Video Chat
9. Once in the Virtual Interview room, you have access to the following features at the top of the screen:
- Session Type: Provides the interview session type name to all attendees
- Network Signal Status: This helps you identify if your signal strength is poor. If you are experiencing poor video or audio quality, you may have poor network signal strength. We recommend switching to another network with a strong signal.
- Chat: A public text chat box that you can use to chat publicly with other attendees.
- Participants: This allows you to see the list of participants currently in the room. It will be divided into to sections, Interviewers and Applicants
10. Along the bottom of the screen, you have access to the following features:
- View Meeting Details: Confirm which session you have joined, how much time is remaining in the room, the video chat link, and the dial in number.
- Meeting Controls: Turn your microphone and video on and off, change the source of your audio or video through the settings module, or leave the video chat through the Hang Up button.
- Share: Share your screen or an application through the share screen feature.
- Settings: Allows you to change your microphone and camera devices.
- Change Layout: Choose from multiple attendee layout views based on your preference. These layout view changes apply only to you.
11. Once your Interviewer joins the room, you will see their video on your screen. If more participants join the room, the videos will resize to accommodate multiple users.
12. If there are no other users in the room, you will see a notification: "There is no one else currently in this room. Once another individual joins they will appear here."
13. If you should accidentally leave the interview room before you have finished, you can return to the room via the steps used to previously access the room.
14. When you are done with your interview, you MUST Select the phone "hang up" icon to end the meeting.
Note: The program coordinator or admin may use the virtual knock or notification message to inform that an interview is ending and/or over. There is an automatic message that will appear when there are five minutes remaining in the session.
15. To move to your next interview, repeat the steps at the beginning of this guide.