The Thalamus Virtual Interview platform may be used by a program utilizing Thalamus for scheduling interviews. This guide outlines several ways to test the Thalamus Virtual Interview platform prior to your interview day.
Test that your camera and microphone are compatible
Thalamus is a web based platform and does not require any downloads to be utilized. However, you will need to ensure that your camera and microphone are compatible with web based video platforms, and that your device's security settings allow your browser to access your camera and microphone.
To ensure that your camera and microphone are compatible:
1. After logging into Thalamus, select Schedule and then Video Settings.
2. A new tab will open. In the new tab, select "Settings" with a gear icon on the right hand side of the page.
3. A settings bar will open on the right hand side of the page, and automatically detect your camera and microphone.
4. Your browser may ask you to give permission to utilize your camera and microphone. You should select "yes" on this prompt.
5. If your camera or microphone are in use, you will receive an indication that the camera and microphone cannot be used. Make sure to close any other video platforms (such as Zoom, Discord, or a Telehealth platform) and refresh the page.
6. You can change your camera and microphone to ensure that the desired device is compatible with the platform.
7. Select "Save" and your camera and microphone settings will be saved as default. If you should attempt to join the video platform through another device or browser, you will need to save your settings again prior to the meeting.
8. If you are utilizing a Mac, you may need to make additional adjustments to your security settings by following this guide: Allow Thalamus Video to Access your Camera, Microphone and Screenshare on Mac
Test in an existing video room:
1. If the program you are interviewing with has published your itineraries, you can access those video rooms without causing any issues on your interview day.
2. Follow the guide Applicant Instructions: Virtual Interviews to locate your video links and sign into a video room.
3. Through these steps, you will be able to verify that our video platform is not blocked by your device or network settings and that your camera will work in the video room.
Test in a new room with a program
GME programs want your interview day to be successful! Many of them are willing to join a video room with you to test the platform before interview day.
We recommend reaching out to the program coordinator of one of the programs that have invited you to interview. They can create a new video chat room for you to test together.
Through these steps, you will be able to verify that your microphone is working in the video platform, and check your network connection.
Run the Twilio Network test: https://networktest.twilio.com/
This test will run a diagnostic on your system to determine if there are any issues with your device or network connection. It will also all you to test your microphone to make sure it is functioning correctly.